Tuesday 27 September 2016

Victoria, BC to Portland, Oregon

I crossed from Victoria, BC to the US by ferry.  I landed in the town of Port Angeles in the US which is on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. The Olympic Discovery Trail took me all along the northern coast of the peninsula. 

A 'free produce' exchange along the Discovery Trail.
 I met a lovely elderly lady called Sandy who was out riding her bike on the trail. She explained to me how each 3 mile section of the trail has been adopted by a local family who take care of it. This involves cutting back the bushes/trees and keeping it free from litter. She was on her way to her Tai Chi class 10 miles away so we cycled together and chatted. She was really proud of the trail and said she moved to this area 12 years previously because of it. I made sure to compliment her on her 3 mile section that she and her husband had taken care of for the last 12 years! She told me she was a member of a national organization called Rails to Trails working to convert old rail tracks into bike trails. It made me wonder how networked such groups are at home in Ireland.

Not quite sure what this is, but found at a farmers market
on the Discovery Trail.
While on the trail I stopped at a farmers market called Sunny Farms. A lady approached me and asked all about my bike and my trip. She was American but originally from Hungary and had biked all through Europe when she was younger. She insisted on paying for my groceries. $11.46. She remembered being shown all sorts of kindness while on the road herself and wanted to pay something back. I had been in the USA for all of about 4 hours when this happened. A lovely gesture of welcome to America. 

It's coming into Halloween season.
As the trail finished I turned south along the Hood Canal in the direction of Portland.

The journey from Victoria BC, Canada to Portland, Oregan, US was a total of about 400 miles. I decided to do what the Romans do when in Rome and switch my bike speedometer to miles. It’s painfully slow compared to cycling in kilometers, but I guessed that it made more sense as all the signs here are in miles.

Lou and his wife Amelia were my first Warm Showers hosts. Lou found me a little stranded on the road as night was falling and so gave me a lift up the steep 1 mile driveway to his house. The following morning I had to get to work fixing my first puncture. One puncture after one day of cycling. Hmmmm.

WS host Lou had recently biked on his rather unusual
recumbent bicycle 4500 miles across the US.
WS host Amelia and the dog, Mr. Bear
The Hood Canal also provided the first opportunity for some wild camping. September seems like a really nice time to camp in Washington. The days are long and sunny and the nights are cool but not cold.
Beautiful spot along the Hood Canal.
Slept, cooked, swam.
Chaz was my second Warm Showers host on this route. A planned one night stay turned into a two night stay due to an invite to go flying. I kid you not. He took me up to about 8000ft and I saw Washington State with its forests and waterways unfold beneath me. We even flew over Bill Gates’ house/compound in Union. What a treat.

WS host Chaz takes me flying in a Vans RV-9/9A
A view over Washington State.
First proper campsite. Pitches were beautifully located
in the forest.
From Olympia to Portland Google maps took me on lovely back roads which intertwined around the I5 (interstate highway). I camped for 2 nights right by the highway in ‘proper’ campsites. But at $25 per night I won’t be doing that too often. I hear that campsites along the Oregon and California coasts are a lot cheaper.





Highlights:
  • Going flying of course
  • Finding my penknife. It was in my tent. I knew I couldn't have left it in Navan
  • Oh and also fixing a puncture for the first time in my life

This week I learned that:
Both whipped butter and a Washington craft beer called Irish Death – are gorgeous!
 
Whipped butter. Light and fluffy.
Irish Death. A Washington State delicious dark ale craft beer. 
I’m reading:
The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

I watched:
Virgin Galactic Spaceship One flight on YouTube (thanks to Chaz, the Warm Showers host who was nuts about flying).

I’m listening to:

RTE Documentary On One – The Irish refugees of Glenstall Abbey.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds fab Shell. Can't believe you got to go flying. That is amazing! Loving reading your blog. Look forward to the next instalment! Love from all in Melbourne, Sonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sos. Great to have you on board. That's great that you got to see the blog. I'm still trying to work out how to write things and post things. Others have said it's not possible to comment. But you managed. Great. Hi to all in Melbourne. I'm very happy in Portland - the bike mecca of the USA.

      Delete
  2. Hey Michelle, Well done !! I will be following your blogs. Sounds exciting. Great start. Fergus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fergus. Great to hear from you. I reached the Pacific today!!! Yeah!! 30 miles of uphill yesterday and 60 miles of downhill today.

      Delete
  3. Good work so far Shell. We're all cheering you on from the Boyne road ;-) It's brilliant having the ability to follow you and keep up with your adventures! Eims and co.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey E. Thanks, thanks. Reached the coast today for the first time. It's loud. Will near dem ear plugs in the tent. Hi to all there.

      Delete
  4. Hi Michelle.We love your blog and love that we got a mention. The kids found you on the globe and are amazed that you are so faraway. Keep blogging and safe cycling. Love maeve and gang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maeve. Yehhh! Great you saw the blog. I hear it's not all that easy to make a comment, so thanks for working that out. I made it to the coast today. Great feeling. It's cold though. Hope you and the gang are well, x

      Delete
  5. Hi Michelle. Great the Pacific ocean. Just asked kids what they think off when they see the Pacific - I get the following - large warm bubbles and flying fish. We going to Meath on Sunday to see my dad and calling to the Boyne road to visit Eimear and all. Really looking forward to it. Cant believe clodagh is 7 months old. Cycle love Maeve and gang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maeve. Great that the kids are thinking about the Pacific ocean. I'm delighted. I saw whales this morning Sat Oct 7th. Maybe Sean could research what type of whales they might have been. Beautiful sight and all from the seat of a bicycle.

      Delete
  6. When are you getting all the time to read. Flying with your host - no wonder you stayed two weeks. The lady paying for your groceries was amazing and such a lovely gesture. It is these little things that make the travelling so rewarding. Keep blogging and if you see me copying anything that it as a compliment 😜😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two nights not two weeks. Don't know how to edit my comments. Xx

      Delete