Wednesday 14 December 2016

Yosemite National Park

Take I

Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places in the world I have ever been. Now as I write (I'm in Mexico and it's Dec 13th, 2016) I have actually been to Yosemite twice. For my first trip I was so kindly offered a car by two cyclists - Herbie and Shannon - and just told to go, that I would love it. So I did as I was told. It was a six hour drive north of LA and my first time driving in the US. I was a little apprehensive setting off but quickly got the hang of it. I will forever be grateful for the loan of my very own Toyota Corolla.

Sunrise and sunset are particularly spectacular.
The merced river flows through Yosemite valley
The famous Half Dome
I just hung out in the meadow at sunset on both days. Heaven.
Campground 4 is open all year round. It costs $6 per night to camp. Bargain.
Pitching tents close together means you all share a campfire at night.
What a treat.
Spontaneous sing-song round the campfire. This pic shows 4 pretty serious rock climbers.
German, Canadian, American, Dutch.
Yosemite is the Mecca for granite climbing. And campground 4 is where the rock climbers stay. 
Yet again my porridge was stolen by a racoon. So breakfast meant left with left-over
chick pea curry and spaghetti from the night before. A yummy Happy Pear recipe.
The Happy Pear 5 minute recipes are particularly good for camping.
Hiking up to Yosemite Falls. My legs ache for days after
as I haven't walked anywhere for months.
As I left before sunrise I stepped over several bodies in sleeping bags.
They had arrived overnight and were waiting to register at campground 4.
Take II

For the last few days of Leann's two week holiday we decided to rent a car and head north since Yosemite was only a ten hour drive away from San Diego. Although it was only three weeks after my first visit the conditions could not have been more different. Whereas I was in shorts and t-shirts applying sun cream, three weeks later with Leann we were trudging through snow and stepping carefully on restricted and blocked trails over ice. Oops. A bit of planning and research might have come in handy. Sorry Leann.
The hike up to Vernal Falls takes a while as we step carefully on the ice.
But we made the most of our time in Yosemite. As you do. After almost 12 hours of driving we pitched our tent in the dark, in the rain. The following morning after 10 hours of gorgeous deep sleep we woke in a puddle. We tried to cook our porridge... but cooking with layers of thick gloves is difficult. Washing pots in freezing water is even worse. We went to the visitors centre and found that although most trails and roads were closed, a few remained open. So off we went. Six hard boiled eggs tucked snugly in our hiking backpack.
Hiking with all our layers on - we still aren't very warm.
It was a very long shot. But three weeks earlier I had met a retired American working in the visitor centre. We chatted about cycling and he just happened to mention if I ever returned to Yosemite, to get in touch as I could stay in his cousin's cabin. I never gave it a second thought as I never for a moment thought I was going to return. So I threw away the piece of paper with his mobile number. His name was Don. Well three weeks and one very wet tent later I went looking for Don. And voila. As if by magic I found him and he said we could stay in his cabin no problem. What a piece of luck. Landing on our feet yet again. One night we even had a campfire on the deck and roasted carrots with honey in tinfoil.
Don's cousin's cabin was a haven during 3 cold and wet
days in Yosemite.
Honey glazed carrots baking in the campfire on the cabin deck on our last
night in Yosemite. We borrowed a few logs from the neighbour's garden.
It's low season. No one was home. Honest.


3 comments:

  1. Awesome new posts Shell. Great to hear all about your adventures with Leann. Looking forward to the next one already. Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle. Great blog. We will be getting the globe out later to track you. We love the photos. What a great way to spend these last few months, the freedom, enjoy. Keep safe. Love Maeve and gang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle. Great blog. We will be getting the globe out later to track you. We love the photos. What a great way to spend these last few months, the freedom, enjoy. Keep safe. Love Maeve and gang

    ReplyDelete